Senior UX Designer / Auckland
Fancy working with and learning from some really talented people on challenging, meaty projects as part of an established, industry-leading team?
We are looking for an experienced Senior UX Designer to join our product design team in the strategy and design of digital experiences across multiple touch points. We need designers keen to embrace challenge, risk, and experimentation across research and design. Crucially, you’ll be excited to explore how elegant interaction design solutions can support our clients’ customers tasks, and balance these with commercial needs. Some very meaty challenges lie ahead. With us, you’ll aim high, and be given the support to do so.
- Using your brain and thinking big. You’ll carefully and creatively frame the problem with our clients before we move to solutions. The Product Design team at DNA is made up of CX and UX designers and strategists, so you’ll learn lots alongside the team here. It’s a great place for anyone wanting to expand their skillset
- UX designers at DNA bring lots of tools to the table and we support a mix of established and experimental design techniques
- Solving difficult problems for real people by defining interaction patterns, information architecture, user flows, scenarios, and conceptual prototypes
- Identifying and executing design improvement opportunities, translating customer insights, and thoughtfully-framed problems, into high-quality, interaction design components
- Rapidly building and exploring multiple design solutions to user problems for our clients, while championing the quality of our work
- Taking a variety of projects through from conception to completion, developing your designs from research insights gathered alongside our in-house researchers
- Representing the culture and integrity of DNA in a range of environments e.g. client relationships, conferences and various external engagements
- Actively collaborating with your teammates and clients from different design and development disciplines to achieve highly functional digital experiences that will meet our clients’ customer and business needs
- A key deliverable in this role includes your quality collaboration with teammates from other disciplines, and the client to move solutions forward
- Liaising and working with internal teams, external agencies and third parties
- There will be a lot of whiteboarding and sketches, and we’ll grow your abilities in knowing when to push the boundaries of your design solution vs when to lean back. You’ll deftly balance short and longer term project design goals.
- Documenting design specifications to support design consistency and efficiencies
- Helping to shape, build and enhance team culture
What we will provide you
- A small, established, close-knit, team of supportive senior designers and colleagues who can help mentor and support your learning and career progression
- Collaboration with a smart, dedicated and awarded team where everyone around you wants to achieve and create great work, in an environment where creativity, innovation and collaboration are fostered
- Exposure to leading human-centred design methodologies and practice
- Grow your knowledge of UX, psychological principles and human behavioural biases to help steer your design work, and helping others in the business clearly understand your rationale. We’ll support you in learning to balance this pragmatically with client commercial needs, and become a stronger designer
- Interesting and varied work across a diverse group of clients where the focus is firmly on the quality of thinking to drive solid success outcomes for our clients’ customers and their businesses, which we call ‘effect’
- We work with clients big and small across major financial services, retail and ecommerce, TV and video entertainment platforms, transport, government services, utilities and more. This is a great way to explore different industries and learn how design can positively impact their customers
- Helping to gather user feedback on your designs-in-progress, and iterate, with the background support and some direction from your dedicated Design Research teammates
- Support in selling and explaining your design decisions with a clear, straightforward, logical rationale, basing your work on evidence, which includes your expertise gained direct in the field. You will be able to support your decisions with enthusiastic clients and senior stakeholders
- Flexible working hours
- A great working environment
About you | What we’re looking for
- You’ll have at least 4 years’ commercial experience as a UX, Interaction Designer or Information Architect, and will have delivered / contributed to numerous UX design projects
- You’ll have a portfolio demonstrating your design process from sketch work to flows and beyond - not just the finished article. You’ll clearly frame your contribution to solving UX problems – and will call out your role within the wider team you worked with. Nobody ships alone
- We’d like it if you have experience in designing for all digital channels including large scale complex applications
- You’ll ideally have a track record of delivering design improvements alongside more senior teammates, driving measurable positive impact on user satisfaction and commercial success
- You’ll be a naturally outgoing, positive, curious, enthusiastic, collaborative person and will want to grow within our team and the fast-paced environment at DNA
- You’ll be a strong communicator, and will provide ‘the gloss’. You may be delivering complex findings in easily understood and actionable ways by your clients, who include the leadership teams at many of the biggest companies in New Zealand and beyond. (And you’ll be supported by your teammates in this.)
- You’re able to speak with developers and will have some familiarity with their world and challenges – but you will not be expected to write code
- People come to UX from lots of backgrounds, and we’re open to all good UX Designers, whatever route they’ve taken to find the perfect role with us
- UX at DNA is friendly, no-ego, international and diverse team and we’re actively looking to grow its diversity further with the right new teammates. Say hello if you think that might be you
The successful candidate will be joining some serious talent within DNA working on a rich portfolio of client projects in both public and private sectors. If you think you are at the top of your game, or determined to get there, we are interested in hearing from you.
Does this sound like you?
Please send us an email including your CV, references and samples of your work to Julie Tarrant.
This is a permanent role in our Auckland Office.
No recruiters please – we'll contact you directly.