Product / UX Researcher / Auckland
We are looking for an experienced Product / UX Researcher to join our diverse team in the design and delivery of customer experiences across multiple touch points. You’ll be tasked with bringing our blended client / agency product teams on a journey to deepen their understanding of customers, using this knowledge to deliver amazing product and service experiences.
Fancy working with and learning from some really talented people on challenging, meaty projects as part of an established, industry-leading, and growing team? DNA is a leading design and digital agency creating amazing customer-centered experiences across a range of organisations, channels and touchpoints. We are specialists at connecting customer needs and goals with business challenges and building design and strategy for the sweet spot where those overlap.
You’ll have experience in planning, facilitating and delivering research activities that ship insight for our clients and their customers, across New Zealand and internationally. With us, you’ll aim high, and be given the support to do so.
- Using your brain and thinking big. You’ll carefully and creatively frame research problems with our clients and guide them on the road to turning research findings into insights and on to action, as part of a multidisciplinary team of product owners, designers and developers - client side and in our team.
- Identifying, planning and executing appropriate research activities (both generative and evaluative) to lay the runway for our product teams’ understanding of customer issues and opportunities. You provide the foundation for the work of our designers and developers, and will play a critical, central role in our client programme success.
- Delivering concept / prototype based evaluative research is a key area of ownership for this role, and you will have the opportunities to set the direction of our approach here (with input and guidance from your more senior research teammates).
- Improving life and digital / service interactions for real people; translating research findings into thoughtfully-framed insights and real-world context, and collaborating with our product teams to build innovative solutions to these problems.
- Providing context to product teams about the customer-severity of particular issues or problems and helping to input in to prioritisation of solutions.
- Working on a mix of clients projects (in different industries, at potentially different stages) at once, and balancing competing priorities with your teammates.
- Ability to balance long vs short term research timelines, to ensure we’re delivering value for customers via agile product teams.
- Representing the culture and integrity of DNA in a range of environments e.g. client relationships, conferences and various external engagements
- Actively collaborating with your teammates and clients from different design and development disciplines to achieve highly functional digital experiences that will meet our clients’ customer and business needs. You’ll deftly balance short and longer term project needs.
- Documenting and sharing / evangelising research insights to make sure the intent of your hard work translates into design outputs and action from our clients and product teams. You will be able to support your decisions with enthusiastic clients and senior stakeholders.
- Helping to shape, build and enhance team culture at DNA
- Liaising and working with internal teams, external agencies and third parties, as needed.
What we will provide you
- An established, close, team of supportive, smart, senior designers and researchers and colleagues who can help mentor and support your learning and career progression, and who are extremely keen to grow the practice and involve new points of view (yours!)
- Exposure to leading human-centred design methodologies and practice, with an internationally-experienced, diverse team
- Grow your knowledge of UX, psychological principles and human behavioural biases to help steer your design work, and helping others in the business clearly understand your rationale. We’ll support you in learning to balance this pragmatically with client commercial needs, and become a stronger practitioner
- Interesting and varied work across a varied group of clients, in a wide spread of industries, where the focus is firmly on the quality of thinking to drive solid success outcomes for our clients’ customers and their businesses, which we call ‘effect’
- We’ll grow your abilities in knowing when to push the boundaries of your research practice vs when to lean back. Support in selling and explaining your research insights with a clear, straightforward, logical rationale, basing your work on evidence, which includes your expertise gained direct in the field.
- Flexible working hours
- A great working environment
- If it’s important, our work is award-winning, many times over.
About you | What we’re looking for
- You’ll ideally at least 3+ years’ commercial experience as a UX Researcher – and will have delivered or contributed to numerous UX design projects
- Alternatively, if you have less commercial experience, but a background in human-computer interaction or psychology, we’d like to speak with you.
- You’ll clearly frame your contribution to solving UX problems – and will call out your role within the wider team you worked with. Nobody ships alone.
- You’ll ideally have a track record of delivering research-based design improvements alongside more senior teammates, driving measurable positive impact on user satisfaction and commercial success
- You’ll be a naturally outgoing, positive, curious, enthusiastic, collaborative person and will want to grow within our team and the fast-paced environment at DNA
- You’ll be a strong communicator, and will provide ‘the gloss’. You may be delivering complex findings in easily understood and actionable ways by your clients, who include the leadership teams at many of the biggest companies in New Zealand and beyond. (Your senior teammates at DNA will help you with this!)
- You’re able to speak with product designers, managers, developers and will have some familiarity with their world and challenges.
- UX at DNA is friendly, no-ego, international and diverse team and we’re actively looking to grow its diversity further with the right new teammates. Say hello if you think that might be you.
The successful candidate will be joining some serious talent within DNA working on a rich portfolio of client projects in both public and private sectors. If you think you are at the top of your game, or determined to get there, we are interested in hearing from you.
Please send us an email including your CV, references and samples of your work to Julie Tarrant.
You must be eligible to work in New Zealand to be considered for this opportunity.